Praxis Part 2

My Ecofeminist action, going vegan for a week, was a great success for me.  I knew it wouldn’t be too challenging, as I have lived with vegans for a long time, so I know many of the tricks to eat delicious vegan food.  Having a full meal prep plan ahead of time made cooking very simple and easy, and as many of my foods were quick and easy to make, I found it to be fairly similar to my regular lifestyle.  The vegan cooking was simple enough once I knew what ingredients I needed, so it ended up being less difficult that I had anticipated.

Was my plan effective?  More or less.  I did what I set out to do, but I don’t think this has pushed me to being vegan full time.  There were absolutely some stinkers in my cooking.  The oatmeal was terrible.  I never want to eat oatmeal again.  Having cereal four days in a row also felt rather bland.  Expanding my meal prep will take more years of practice before I feel prepared to go vegan full time.  My full review of the Impossible Whopper is that it is, indeed, a vegan option.  It feels like cheap fast food, except I can eat it ‘ethically’.  Fast food cannot be ethical, so it still feels like a loss. 

Overall, being vegan was fun!  I still would really like to go full time vegan, but right now is a difficult time.  I look forward to learning more about cooking, and eventually making my ethical dream, a reality.

4 Replies to “Praxis Part 2”

1. Hey Peter, I’m happy to hear your vegan week went relatively smoothly. What happened with your oatmeal? Your project seems to be very well rounded and I totally have faith that you can go vegan one day. I think the trick for you is to really get some variety into your diet, because the same things over and over get really boring really fast and you’ll be more likely to give into non-vegan options. Although right now it may be difficult to try new recipes, when all this nonsense is over and the world opens back up maybe you can start doing that so you’re constantly trying new things and finding those you really enjoy, like your peanut butter toast. Great work! I hope you are able to stick with a vegan lifestyle at some point in your life as it seems to be something you really want. Good Luck!!

2. Peter,
    WE APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORTS! Now that your trial is over, do you have any advice to offer us vegan novices? How was it toward the end of your experiment? Meal-prepping is a difficult matter for me as well but I can credit that to my waves of laziness at night, hahaha. I want to eat better but, like you mentioned, these are difficult times. Still, I commend you always. Good luck with the rest of your endeavors. Take care.

3. Hi, good to hear that you had a positive experience with trying a vegan diet for a week. I also do not like oatmeal haha! I think the trick to becoming a full-time vegan is adding variety to your diet and snacking often on fruits and veggies. My friend eats salads every day and I don’t know how she does it, I would get so tired of lettuce! But I applaud you for your efforts and success especially during this pandemic because I can imagine finding vegan foods right now is probably difficult. I recommend looking up vegan food tutorial videos on YouTube, you’d probably find a bunch of stuff you like and want to try. I definitely think you have the ability to go full-time vegan and wish you good luck!

4. Hey Peter,

I came to tell you that I think you should join me for another week of veganism. We can look up different recipes and take pictures of how they came out and share them. I found a vegan page on Facebook called “Vegan eats” and they are quick easy to make meals for dinner. I think you’ll like the page because they also give tips of the day and they call them “eco tips” of the day. They also support feminism, especially the fourth wave. I’m glad this project worked out for you. How did you feel after eating vegan food? For me my body was feeling more awake. I didn’t feel like I was consuming the same amount of fat I usually do a week. I feel stronger and as if I have more energy it’s really amazing.

Let me know?

x Gossip girl